Projects on My Plate

  • Veda's Birthday Party
  • Sienna's Birthday Party
  • Sienna's Pencil Skirt
  • Pencil Skirt
  • Wardrobe re-do
  • Floral Skirt for Mommy
  • Breck's Bedding
  • Sienna and Veda's Bedding
  • Apron

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Breck's Birthday Invites

I wasn't sure that I wanted to do the whole invitation-before-the-party post like I usually do. But I figured, Why not? They're lots of fun, and I could share with you some of what I did to create them. Plus it gives you a little sneak peak, and the party I'm planning for my little man!


It's a Dr. Suess Party! I drew the cake Suess style, then scanned it onto my computer and filled in the color, and I wrote the invite wording as well.
These were lots of fun! To get the book shape, I created a pattern. I cut an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper, and cut it in half, hamburger style. I then made the book-like trimmings in the middle of the top and bottom, and that was that. I was able to trace that pattern for the rest of the invites.

The pages were a similar process, cutting paper in half, except, I trimmed them up even more to fit inside the book cover.
The dimensions are: 4.5"x7.5" for the bottom page, 4.5"x7" for the middle page, and 4.5"x6.5" for the top page. I then placed them on top of one another as pictured, so the ends hang evenly out. Then I folded them in half where the seem of the book would be. When I opened it up, I cut the curved edges in the middle top and bottom, to give the page effect. After that, I used double-sided tape to keep them in place.

I then cut a ribbon ( however long you want it to hang), and glued it to the back of the pages, BEFORE taping it to the cover. Put double sided tape on the back of the pages, bring the ribbon forward, and tape down to the cover.

I put a dab of glue half-way down the middle of the pages to keep the ribbon in place.

I printed and mounted all of my graphics and wording, and placed them as shown. I put a fun clip on the cat in the hat for style! I them brushed the edges of the cover with red ink.

After all that, I gently curled all the corners of the pages, to give it a used book look.

And there you have your book invites!


2 comments:

Lyss said...

So cute Sarah, you are so creative!

Rachael said...

You are so cute! I love projects, too. I used to have a separate project blog but it was hard to do two blogs so I'm back to one and I just put it all on there.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin