Projects on My Plate

  • Veda's Birthday Party
  • Sienna's Birthday Party
  • Sienna's Pencil Skirt
  • Pencil Skirt
  • Wardrobe re-do
  • Floral Skirt for Mommy
  • Breck's Bedding
  • Sienna and Veda's Bedding
  • Apron

Monday, March 29, 2010

Push-In Pie Crust


So I know I don't usually do recipes, but there are a few out there that I have either come up with, or found that have changed my life. Seriously, I will never be the same cook. I love cooking, I mean really really love cooking, so I'm actually surprised I've never ventured into online recipe sharing.

Funny thing is, I love to cook, but I can't stand baking. It's not so much that I can't bake, just that I don't like to bake. The only time I semi-enjoy baking, is when it accomplishes my OCD desires to have a completely coordinating party. Baking just seems so redundant to me... flour, sugar, eggs, butter, rising agent...every single time...then you shove it in the oven. No diversity, and it's messy, then to top it off, offers little nutritional value. Don't get me wrong, I like to eat baked goods; really, I LOVE to eat baked goods, but I never want to go through the mundane, messy and long process just to eat something that's not good for me.

Cooking is just so diverse. Not only are your ingredients limitless, with a change in one spice having the ability to change the entire taste of the dish, but there are so many ways to cook something, all yielding completely different outcomes. You can bake it, sauté it, boil it, steam it, deep-fry it, grill it, or broil it. Then, you get a rounded meal for you and your family, so everyone wins!

When it comes to the holidays, i love cooking big feasts for our family. My dread comes in when I think about the PIES I have to make! And here's my other quirk, I really like doing things from scratch when it comes to the holidays, so I set this standard of pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin, apple (among other fruits) pie not from a can, and of course, homemade pie crust.

I don't know if you guys have ever tried homemade pie crust, but it's a pain. It's not very hard or intricate, but it's just annoying to mix, and everything has to be done in a specific order and time. Speaking of time, it feels like it takes forever too. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm all for not spending a ton of my time baking. You can imagine my delight when I found this recipe.

It's completely from scratch, and takes no more than 3 minutes to make, and you mix it and make it right in the pie pan, so no messy counter, extra bowls, or sore arms from excessive rolling! Perfect! This recipe is good for pumpkin pies, pudding pies, or dutch pies. You can also use it to make quiche, but make sure you cut out the sugar. It's not your best bet to use this for a pie that requires a top, as the texture isn't right to hold as a top crust, but it really makes a yummy (and homemade) bottom crust.

So enough of the rambling... here's the recipe!

Push-In Pie Crust:


1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar (emit for quiche)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons milk


1. Place dry ingredients in pie pan (8-9 inch) and mix together with a fork.


2. Slowly add oil, then milk. Kneed with your hands a couple of times to ensure consistency in texture.


3. Starting in the middle, start pushing the crust down to the pan, and work your way out, until there is a thin and even layer of crust on the entire pan.


4. For pudding pies (or a pie that you are just refrigerating, instead of cooking) you need to bake the crust first at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. If you are making a pumpkin pie or quiche, just pour filling into uncooked crust, and bake for whatever the recipe calls for.


And that's it! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. I at least hope you can enjoy the time it saves! Happy baking!!
These 3 holiday pies were made with the Push-In Pie Crust!

Love,

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Sarah,
I LOVE your blog! I just spent the last 45 min looking through all the projects. I am so glad you found me so I could find your blog!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin